WordPress Web Developer & SEO Expert (£20k-£28k)
NOTE TO AGENCIES: We are interested in speaking to you, but please do not call us. Simply send through a redacted candidate CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and if we like the look, we will get in touch with you. Please respect this approach.
If you are passionate about WordPress development & SEO but don’t want to work in a traditional office environment, and the idea of helping to expand a small yet dynamic and ambitious business appeals, totalsurf is the one for you.
If you are a good technical WordPress developer who understands the technical side of SEO, this role is for you. You must understand HTML & CSS well and the use of specific tags and there effect on SEO rankings. If you don’t have a solid SEO background but do have a strong technical HTML code understanding, we can assist you in cross-training to become an SEO expert , but you need the technical understanding on HTML first-off.
IMPORTANT: Please do NOT apply for this role if you cannot hand-write HTML, CSS & PHP *please see below.
£20,000 – £28,000, depending on experience.
Based in our dedicated studio building with its own facilities and own access, you should live within the Berkshire area or within an easily commutable distance. We are not looking to outsource this role, so please do not apply if you are not looking for a permanent position based in Reading.
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5:30pm
- 28 days annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Childcare Vouchers, TechSave (save up to 35% on IT equipment), plus a wide range of discounts and ways to save money
- Develop new websites in WordPress
- Support existing sites in WordPress
- Devise and deliver SEO, running campaigns from the ground up, while understanding the importance of getting keyword research right
- Create analytical reports to understand the ongoing health of our websites and identify opportunities for improvement
- Input into the overall content of sites
- Represent the business at a weekly breakfast networking meeting (after a settling-in period)
- Help to deliver the growth strategy for the business
Key skill requirements
- At least one year’s experience in the industry, ideally two, resulting in a strong technical understanding of WordPress, SEO, websites, CMS platforms and eCommerce
- Previous experience with Google Analytics
- WordPress – a good understanding of the platform, modifying themes (the correct way!). Configuring plugins like WooCommerce.
- PHP – a reasonable knowledge of PHP is required. You don’t need to be able to build an entire site from scratch, but you must understand how to edit a functions.php file and set variables etc.
- CSS – understanding how to control the layout of page and its contents using hand-coded CSS
- HTML – the ability to hand-code HTML. Even though you don’t need to use it that often, it is important to know how to in cases where needed
- In-depth knowledge of plug-ins: ‘Yoast’ is second nature to you, as is ‘All In One SEO’, but you have your own opinions of them both
- Very good English writing abilities
- Ability to recognise and adapt language to fit different audiences
Desired but not essential
- A full UK driving licence and access to a vehicle
- A love of music, IT and tech
- A liking of ping-pong!
- Positive, conscientious and highly self-motivated with a passion for helping sites to rank no. 1 on Google – and just a touch of competitiveness!
- Excellent organisational skills
- Personable and active in building working relationships, both internally and externally
- Proactive in resolving any issues that may occur
- You take pride in your work and have a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Innovative with a desire to educate other team members in new techniques and strategies
How to apply
If the above describes you, then it is a perfect match, as those are our values. This is how you apply:
- Please get in touch with your CV and include a list of at least three sites you have built and optimised
- Please describe each of the projects you have (include the URLs), what the challenges were, what your solutions were and the keywords they rank well for
- Please include your current salary and any package you may have
- Send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £20,000.00 to £28,000.00 /year